Child Support

May 09

One contentious issue in any custody matter is the matter of Child Support. In our example we will assume that Mom and DAD have two children. When calculating Child Support the first issue to look at is who has custody of the children. If Mom and Dad share joint physical custody of the two children then you look to Wright v. Osborn for the formula. You take 25% of Dad’s income and 25% of Mom’s income and whoever makes more pays the difference to the other party. If Mom has primary physical custody then Dad pays 25% of his monthly income to Mom.

What has caused problems in the family attorneys and judges is what do you do when Mom and Dad have joint physical custody of one child and Mom has primary physical custody of one child? Before March 15, 2018, there was no guidance from the Courts or the legislature. On March 15, 2018, the Nevada Supreme Court issued a decision in Miller v. Miller. The Nevada Supreme Court provided a formula for setting child support when Mom and Dad share joint physical custody of one child and one parent has primary physical custody of the other. To set child support the court determines what the child support obligation is per child and for the child where the parties have joint physical custody they follow the Wright v. Osborn formula and where one parent has primary physical custody of one child, the non custodial parent pays what they owe for that one child.

As a pro tem hearing master in child support court, Attorney Yug determines what a parent’s child support obligation is. On May 8, 2018, Attorney Yug had the opportunity to use the formula in Miller v. Miller to set child support. This was one of the first opportunities to do so.

If you have any questions about how child support is set, please contact us.

Rape and Child Custody

Oct 10

Rape and Child Custody: There was a recent article in the BBC in which a rapist was given joint custody of the child conceived from a rape. There is also an article in CNN which addresses this issue. Rape is a traumatic event as is fighting someone for child custody. Put both together and it is very traumatic. This is shocking. How can this happen? There are several issues to discuss, Paternity, Child Custody and Visitation.

PATERNITY: Is determining whose name goes on the birth certificate as the father. Under Nevada law, the parents listed on the birth certificate share joint legal and physical custody until a court orders different. A person is named as the father of a child if he signs an Affidavit of Paternity or a court makes a determination of paternity.

There are two courts that can make a determination of paternity; Family Court or Child Support Court. In Family Court either of the parents can file a Complaint to Establish Paternity. This brings the issue of paternity to the Court and allows the Court to make a determination. Child Support Court comes into the picture if the mother applies to the court for child support benefits or applies for cash assistance from the state. In order to apply for cash assistance on behalf of a child, the applicant has to identify the mother and the father. The state then files an action in child support court to determine paternity and child support. Once the child support court establishes paternity for its purposes the issue of Custody comes into play.

CUSTODY: The two types of custody are legal and physical. Legal Custody is generally awarded to both parents and addresses things like medical care, religious upbringing, education. Essentially, legal custody involves making the big decisions which both parents should make jointly. Physical Custody refers to which parent the child lives with and is thus making the day to day decisions. Courts generally award joint physical custody. This time split can be either one week on one week or or the week is split. The court looks at the child’s best interest, including a history of domestic violence, determining custody of a child.

VISITATION: Once legal and physical custody issues are resolved visitation is also decided. The court looks at the best interest of the child in determining visitation.

Now to our scenario of the rapist possibly getting custody and visitation of a child conceived from the rape. Establishing paternity is a question of biology. Once it is determined that a biological relationship exists then the Court determines paternity and what names go on the birth certificate. Once paternity is established, the mother must then go to family court to get an order establishing custody and visitation. She can rely on the rape to ask the court for sole legal and physical custody and to restrict visitation.

Another way to deal with the rapist father is to waive child support in exchange for a termination of parental rights.

Each case such is different. Some factors that can affect the case, is the rapist in or out of custody, whether or not the mother needs child support/public assistance, how close the the mother and rapist live to each other.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

School Choice

Aug 22

One area of contention between parents who are not together is school choice. Some basics. When parents live together the child will be zoned for the school by their house. When one parent has primary physical custody the child is zoned for the school by the custodial parent’s house. The situation become tricky when the parents have joint physical custody, don’t live in the same school zone and don’t agree on a school. One parent will be inconvenienced and the child will be spending time in a car. That is where the courts have to intervene. The courts will look at what is in the best interest of the child. Some courts will look at which school will mean the least car time for the child. Others will try to determine which school is better. The courts will also consider the actions of the parents. Did one parent move away from the child’s school zone? Did one parent unilaterally transfer the child from one school to another? It has happened. Judges do not like this. IF you have questions, contact us.

Child Custody

Oct 20

The Nevada Supreme Court in an unpublished opinion has just confirmed that an award of physical custody is not based on a time share but rather the child’s best interest. In recent years custody has been based on time share. If both parties had at least 40% of the time with the child then they shared joint physical custody. If one parent had the child more than 60% of the time then that parent had primary physical custody. Physical custody is important because, among other things, it impacts child support. When child support was based solely on the timeshare, a lot of time was spent on the calculation of time. Earlier this year the Court said that while time share was important in determining custody, what is more important is the best interest of the child. In some respects this is easier because people are no longer fighting over minutes and hours. The discussion is now over the best interest of the child and the factors to determine this are set forth in NRS 125.450. If you have any questions about this aspect of child custody or any other legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I have primary physical custody, can I move with my child?

Aug 05

In the past, a person with primary physical custody has been able to move with the child pretty much at will within the State of Nevada.  A person with primary physical custody could move the children from Las Vegas to Reno without court permission but not across the river from Laughlin to Bullhead City. The 2015 Legislature changed that. The current analysis is how will the move affect the non-custodial parent’s visitation? This is a much better way of looking at a move. The first question is will the move affect the other parent’s visitation with the child? If the answer is yes, then there is an analysis to be addressed which essentially boils down to does the parent who is moving have a good faith reason to move, does the other parent have a good faith objection and can steps be taken to ensure that the non moving parent can maintain the parent child relationship? Another factor to consider is does the child want to move? The older a child is, the more reluctant they may be to moving. A child in High School may want to stay in that school and graduate with their classmates. Relocation cases are never easy. Call us, we e can help you with your relocation.

Guardianship versus Custody of a Child

May 26

There are many reasons why a child may not live with parents. In some situations a guardianship is appropriate and in other cases custody is appropriate. In a guardianship siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles of the minors need to be notified before a guardianship can be created. There are some situations though where this is not possible. One example is where a parent leaves a child with a friend or family member and then leaves. The traditional guardianship can take 3-4 weeks. NRS 125A.335 allows a court to exercise jurisdiction over a child that has been abandoned. NRS 125A.025  defines abandoned to mean any child that is left without reasonable provision for care or supervision. This statute allows the Court to make emergency orders to provide for the child and then sort things out in a few weeks. This statute can be used when an adult has custody of a child but no legal authority over the child. This process is faster than guardianship.